Sunday, June 14, 2015

Turning 30 in Holland

What can I say? There is nothing better than a big adventure for birthdays and my 30th was perfect! We started the day with Zaanse Schans, a collection of working mills and museums that show what historical Dutch life was like.
 
 
Next we visited Volendam, a small fishing town in which I had my first poffertjes in Holland. We toured a cheese factory and had delish samples.
 
 
 
 
 
Our next stop was Marken, where we watched a wooden shoe making demonstration. And of course, had to model the finest wooden footwear.  
 

Then we hopped on our next tour to Delft and The Hague. The Hague was not particularly exciting, but I am pleased to have seen it. Delft, however, was my absolute most favorite place of the entire trip. The Delft Blue factory was quaint, with a beautiful courtyard and surprisingly small firing room.
 
 
 
The central square in Delft was gorgeous, historic, and just so peaceful. Ancient churches tower over each end of the square and shops and restaurants line the sides. Mike and I had bites of red pepper cheese on teeny crunchy toast slices as we relaxed in the square. Best. Moment. Ever.
 
We bussed back into Amsterdam, had Indonesian food, and then debated visiting the Icebar right next to our hotel. We were on the fence, but thankfully the stars aligned---perhaps for my bday? ;) ---and we ended up getting in early, having three very delightful drinks, and ending my bday night on the happiest, most relaxed note.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment